Transform your bathroom into an oasis with these 7 step-by-step styling tips for a serene, spa-worthy space.
// 1. Storage // 2. Mirrors // 3. Lighting // 4. Accessorise: Loved, Living, Lustre
//5. Wall-treatments & Materials // 6. Flooring // 7. Spa-like Details
STYLING TIP #1: Stylish Storage
- Wall Mounted Shelving: Perfect for small spaces to save floor space while drawing the eye up.
- Rattan Baskets & Trays: Store hand and face towels, slippers, plants, toilet paper and bath and body products.
- Apothecary Jars: A decorative & functional way to store sponges, loofas, body brushes, bath salts, bath bombs, coral & shells.
- Bath Tub Trays: Keep your everyday items close, while offering a platform for your favourite bath-time beverage, book and self-care items.
- Towel Bars, Hooks & Ladders: Install towel bars, hooks or a free-standing ladder for towels and robes. Hooks are better for large bath sheets.
- Bar Trolleys: Unconventional, yet timeless, include a bar trolley on wheels for a colonial feel, whilst offering shelf space for smaller items.
- Free Standing Shelves or Etagere: If room permits, a free-standing bookshelf, etagere or sideboard buffet is perfect for storing away larger items, whilst still showcasing some decorative pieces, greenery and toiletries.
STYLING TIP #2: Elevate with Mirrors
Mirrors calm the mind & create a serene environment by circulating natural and artificial light, whilst giving the illusion of a larger space.
- Round Mirrors: Round mirrors help break up the rigidity of the space and provide a soft and elegant look.
- Structured Mirrors: Rectangle or square mirrors provide character, form and a stately masculine feel to juxtapose any curvaceous elements.
- Layered Mirrors: If your rental has a large built-in mirror that spans the entire vanity, you can always mount a smaller decorative mirror over the top of it for a personalised touch to one that better suits your decor style.
STYLING TIP #3: Set the Mood with Lighting
If the option is there, consider replacing existing light fixtures or changing shades for a bold statement.
- Accent lighting: Position wall sconces on either side of your bathroom mirror.
- Ambient lighting: Statement overhead lighting, ceiling pendants, drum pendants and chandeliers.
- LED lighting: LED picture lights and strip lighting can be placed above or around the mirror to mimic natural light.
- Candles: low-level lighting allows the eyes to rest, calm and facilitate relaxation. Adding your fragrant scented candles will ultimately complete the spa-like experience and enhance the luxury feel.
STYLING TIP #4: Personalise with Accessories
Personalise the space to reflect your own individual style by accessorising with something loved, something living, and something with lustre, balancing old and new items to achieve a look that is visually considered.
Fresh cut greenery, faux plants, trailing vines, flowers or potted plants brings living energy into your space.
Antique accents, miniature stools, picture frames, coral, shells, trays, artwork, books or ceramics. Cover the walls of your bathroom with framed art. Complete your pamper-session with body brushes, loofahs, bath caddy's, and face sponges.
Something with Lustre:
Glass vases, decanters, candleholders, hand mirrors or crystals.
STYLING TIP #5: Layering: Wall-treatments, Timeless Textures & Materials
- Wallpaper: For a bold, creative statement, consider non-permanent, stick on wall-paper.
- Matte vs. Glossy Finishes: Depending on the look you desire, matte accents offer a natural, clean and rustic appearance, whereas glossy accents provide a touch of elegance, charm and glam. Changing your faucets is an easy swap, that can shape the entire look.
- Natural Materials: As you may know, Rattan is one of our favourite materials due to its versatility, durability and organic look. Natural wood accents will also ground the space, add warmth and provide a sense of bringing the outdoors in.
- Paint: If you have permission from your landlord, a layer of Annie Sloan Chalk paint is an impactful way to transform your space.
Be sure to get samples and specify your paint colour last.
STYLING TIP #6: Upgrade your Flooring
- Waterproof Laminate: It has the visual appeal of timbered flooring, very affordable, incredibly low-maintenance, removable & slip-proof.
- Rag Rugs: For a plush appearance and added comfort underfoot, consider a rag rug. They are light-weight, washable and add visual interest.
We recommend a low-pile or outdoor rug, but consider some rug grip underlay to avoid slippage.
- Vinyl Flooring: One of our favourites, vinyl flooring is the perfect rental solution for covering time-worn tiles. Their lay-flat material easily fits into corners, looks beautiful and can be removed when needed.
Imitating antique tiles, they would be perfect in-front on your vanity for a pop of colour and interest.
STYLING TIP #7: Spa-like Finishes
"The details are not the details. They make the design."
- Charles Eames
- Remove or replace the shower curtain: Removing or replace your outdated, pre-existing shower curtains will modernise the space.
- Towels: Investing in beautiful, quality-made, plush towels will add longevity, comfort and add that hotel-like feel to your bathroom.
- Indulge: Recreate the spa experience at home with items such as a facial towel steamer, essential oil diffuser or a two-panel bath pillow.
- Bath & Body Products: We love having a balance of luxury bath and body products, such as soaps, hand-lotions and bubble bath alongside everyday essentials such as loofas, body-brushes and epson salts for an indulgent experience for you and your guests.
- Keep Functional Items Hidden: Incorporate tissue boxes, waste bins and toilet brushes made from rattan or sleek, minimal designs and keep cleaning products out of sight for a clean, streamlined look.
Use an eye-catching lighting fixture to elevate the room & make it the focal point.
Lighting changes how we see a space and how we feel when we are in that space.
There are 4 main lighting styles; Accent Lighting, Ambient Lighting, Task Lighting and Mood Lighting. Use accent lights such as wall sconces to frame an artwork, mirror or mantelpiece. Ambient lighting is fundamental to a properly lit room and provides the overall illumination through lighting fixtures such as Ceiling Pendants and Chandeliers.
Task Lighting brightens areas where routine tasks are performed and makes a nice addition to the ambient lighting throughout your home. Task lighting includes adjustable floor or table lamps. Lastly, Mood Lighting is where you can get creative with pretty candleholders, hurricane lamps or decorative lights that function both as decorative objects and provide soft illumination.