Often times in the midst of chaos and uncertainty we may find ourselves thinking, “When I am happy, then I will be grateful”, but what if gratitude is the gateway to joy?
The science shows evidence for a ‘happiness set point’. Interestingly, it is not the drastic, life-altering decisions such as moving house, changing relationships or jobs that make the biggest difference, instead it is the accumulation of small incremental changes and moments throughout our day that actually create these feelings of fulfilment.
When we practice gratitude for these small moments, we come into deeper appreciation of the multitude of small moments that bring joy throughout our day and increase this level of fulfilment. Simply put - what you focus on grows.
- Write a letter or send a text message or email to someone you are grateful for and express the positive impact they have had in your life.
- Start a gratitude jar- Each day write 1-3 moments in your day you were grateful for and pop it in the jar and see it grow.
- Include a daily mindfulness exercise to help you ground in the present moment. A simple exercise is the 5,4,3,2,1 Mindfulness exercise below.
- Acknowledge FIVE things you see around you.
- Acknowledge FOUR things you can touch around you.
- Acknowledge THREE things you hear.
- Acknowledge TWO things you can smell.
- Acknowledge ONE thing you can taste.
Do you have a Gratitude practice? Share in the comments below!