Scandinavian style is natural, textural, minimal and uncluttered. Scandinavian interiors are chalky white to maximise light, and furniture choices are generally pale, bleached, time worn or painted, as is the flooring.
Painted walls softened by natural materials in drapery and blinds. Functionality and simplicity are valued, which means everything has its purpose, and decor consists of a few sentimental objects that bring joy.
Reflected in Scandinavian style is a love of nature with plenty of living greenery and unstructured floral arrangements. Natural textural throws and soft furnishings in hopsack, heavy linens, soft faux fur and wool are used to transition from season to season to provide both warmth, functionality and style.
Scandinavian style is timeless, and as such, can take on a more modern, contemporary feel, as well as including more bespoke, antiques for a more classic look.
For a step-by-step guide to creating the Scandinavian look explore our guide below and shop the style online.
- Colour palette; layers of white and neutral tones such as dove greys, pastel greens, whites, celadon green & duck egg blues.
- Architectural features; Textured walls with aged patina and traditional glazed tile fireplaces.
- Natural flooring; Painted white or natural wooden floorboards and softened with cotton, patterned and textural rugs and floor mats.
- Lighting; Chandeliers, sheer fabric pendants and crystal wall sconces with linen shades.
- Window treatments; Roman blinds, sheer curtains and a preference for lots of natural light!
- Furniture; Painted pale, chalky and pastel furniture, bleached oak chests, gingham check and hopsack upholstered occasional chairs and Swedish Mora clocks, worn leather chairs and antique accent pieces.
- Fabric; Hopsack, heavy linens, pastel stripes, checks and neutrals cottons & linens. Soft faux furs, wool & textured materials.
- Art; Oil portraits and vintage still life portraits
- Decorative; A few sentimental objects; a simple vase, ceramics, a candle, coffee table book, woven baskets or natural objects.
- Plants; Fresh unstructured floral arrangements and greenery such a fiddle leaf fig or money leaf tree.
With our collection of songs to audibly accompany the Scandinavian Style.