Coastal style is natural, textural, breezy and lived-in. It's universally appealing as this style encourages relaxation!
Incorporating layers of white and natural textures with soft furnishing fabrics of washed cottons and stonewashed linens.
Furniture choices are predominantly crafted from white washed or bleached timbers and driftwood, with slipcovered chairs and sofas. It's all about feeling carefree, comfortable and easy going.
Decorative objects are often 'found and displayed', fossicked from the surrounding environment and include raw materials such as driftwood, coral, shells, and foliage. Coastal lighting options favour breezy cane/sea grass and glass hanging pendants. Soft dappled candle light is seen throughout the home with large collections of candles in glass holders placed on coffee tables, bedsides and shelving.
Bookshelves and sideboards are filled with books and games and holiday memories in frames. Architecturally, Coastal interiors are open plan spaces, with a celebration of natural light and flooring options are usually timber or tiled flooring, softened by mats of sea-grass, jute and cotton dhurries.
For a step-by-step guide to creating the Coastal look explore our guide below and shop the style online.
- Colour palette; Layers of white and muted neutral tones are complimented by natural and bleached timbers, wood, rattan and cane.
- Architectural features; Shutters, screens, ceiling fans, tongue & groove panelled painted walls.
- Natural flooring; Natural timber, lime-washed or painted floorboards with sisal and jute floor rugs, sea-grass and cotton dhurrie rugs.
- Lighting; Shell, clay, rattan and bamboo chandeliers or sheer fabric pendant shades.
- Window treatments; Celebration a natural light, sheer cotton curtains and painted or limed shutters.
- Furniture; Bleached timbers in tables, side tables, muted chalky painted sideboards, occasional chairs of rattan and cane and slip-covered sofas or ottomans.
- Fabric; Natural linens & cottons; light, cooling and breathable fabrics.
- Art; Mounted woven baskets, shell art and vintage coastal oil paintings.
- Decorative; Natural collected elements; shells, coral, driftwood, baskets, sea fans.
- Plants; Large fiddle leaf fig, palms and succulents.