Parisian style is refined, elegant and collected. As opposed to French Provincial style, Parisian interiors are less ‘distressed’, yet obtain an individual style through the mismatched melody of antique, vintage and new objects and furniture. An 18th century commode sits alongside a modernist sculpture, while a 17th century oil portrait in one room contrasts to a contemporary abstract painting in another.
Parisian interiors honour the architectural features of the buildings, including ornate plaster ceilings, mouldings, generous skirting boards and architraves. Walls are usually painted limed white and softened by heavy silk, brocade or linen drapery that is pooled on the floor.
Occasional antique upholstered settees and chairs sit beautifully beside a mid 20th Century Phillipe Starck ghost chair. Crystal chandeliers and wall sconces draw attention to the decorative ceilings and walls, while floor and table lamps are a preferred choice to recessed ceiling lights. Glamour is the major pillar of Parisian interiors.
The inclusion of decor such as gleaming gilt mirrors reflect their age through speckled aged glass, ornate marble fireplaces and parquet oak flooring. Floral arrangements are soft and fresh, as if bought from the local market, displayed in cut crystal glass or ceramic vases.
The beauty is in the detail and no two Parisian apartments will look the same as each will reflect the individual choices of it’s owner which is the true joy of this style.
For a step-by-step guide to creating the Parisian look, explore our guide below and shop the style online.
- Subtle Colour palette; Chalky whites, pastel greens, muted reds, soft pastel pinks
- Architectural features; Elaborate skirting boards, cornices, architectural mouldings and panelling, plaster corbels and mantelpieces.
- Flooring; Versailles panelled floorboards, restored herringbone hardwood floors with Persian and Aubusson rugs.
- Lighting; Crystal chandeliers, wall sconces.
- Window treatments; Heavy lined curtains and drapes in quality linen, velvet, silk or brocade.
- Furniture; Delicate carved period Armchairs, Louis dining chairs, Bergère Chairs, Settee, Gilded Furniture accents, Marquetry table tops and Parquetry furniture.
- Fabric; Sumptuous velvet, brocade, tapestries and silk embellished with braid and tassels.
- Art; Oil portraits, panoramic wallpapers, gilded mirrors and frames.
- Decorative; Array of leather books, meaningful objects, porcelain figures and vases, silver picture frames, crystal vases & decanters.
- Plants; Fresh cut unstructured flowers and external boxed formal topiaries.
SET THE MOOD
With our collection of songs to audibly accompany the Parisian Style.